Friday, November 17, 2006

A Day in the Life of President Lincoln

For years I have admired President Abraham Lincoln. After reading several biographies of his life, I have a collection of some of my favorite Lincoln stores. In this season of thanksgiving, I thought I would share one with you.

The American Civil War took a heavy toll on the emotional and physical health of President Lincoln. Besides the many meetings with his cabinet and the military regarding the logistics of funding and fighting the war, Lincoln was constantly barraged by people asking for special favors.

At this time in history, it was thought that the people should have unfettered access to their president. As a result, Lincoln’s days, and sometimes evenings, were filled with appointments with people who wanted things. There were businessmen asking for government contracts, politicians asking for political favors or appointments, and many friends or family members of soldiers who were asking for special dispensations. Incredibly patient with all, the President sat and listened to each plea, promising to do what he could to oblige them.

On one particularly busy day, the President sat down to visit with a woman who had requested an appointment. He began the conversation with his obligatory, “What do you need from me?” She responded, “I don’t need anything from you, Mr. President. I cannot imagine the pressures you are under and the hardships you are enduring. I thought I might try to bring you a little relief and cheer. I have brought you some fresh baked cookies and wanted to say thank you for all you are doing for our country.”

Dumbfounded for a moment, the President arose to say, “Dear woman, words cannot express my appreciation for your thoughtfulness. For months I have sat here each day to hear request after request. You are the first person I can remember who has come to give me something, rather than ask me for something. Thank you for your kindness.”

The scripture commands us to “Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good!” Often we rush into the presence of God to ask for help or to meet a need, which He encourages us to do. How often do we come to Him just to say “thanks.” We teach and expect our children to say “thank you” when they receive a gift. Perhaps we should model a thankful heart for them as well.

Dear brother in Christ, in this season of Thanksgiving, I encourage you to lead your family to experience the true meaning of Thanksgiving. One of our family traditions as we sit down to Thanksgiving Dinner is to give each family member an opportunity to share what he or she is thankful for. As for me, I am thankful for so many things, including you and the privilege or serving as your pastor.

Shoulder to Shoulder,

Gregg

No comments: